Re: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48

Stephane Bortzmeyer (bortzmeyer@pasteur.fr)
Fri, 08 Aug 97 13:51:24 +0200

On Thursday 7 August 97, at 16 h 16, the keyboard of Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:

> What sort of case-insensitivity do various filesystems currently support?
> Are we talking A-Z only, Latin1, or what? I guess we don't really need to
> worry about what could theoretically be the worst case, but what MS-DOS,
> NT, OS/2 etc actually do right now..

On Macintosh's HFS (remember there is a very good HFS module for Linux,
atltough it is not yet distributed with the kernel), there is apparently
no translation at all, at least not in the Finder (as someone recalled,
MS-DOS != COMMAND.COM). "carré" and "CARRÉ" (I hope you see 8-bits
characters) are the same file but "CARRE" is not.

The strange thing is there is one translation in AppleTalk (zone names
are case-insensitive) and it is documented in "Inside AppleTalk".
Apparently, "carré", "CARRÉ" and "CARRE" are the same zone.