Re: TI CPU Upgrades

Joel Philip Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 10:50:52 -0700 (PDT)

I had some intel 386sx daughter card in a 286 for a while but I never ran
linux on it. I must say that it was quite a bit slower than my 386sx-20
which was running linux at that time. One thing to note is that your bios
(such as it is) is probably not going to recognize any sort of extended
memory since it predates that. It probably supports lim 4.0/expanded
memory, but that doesn't get you very far unless the real-mode linux
(8086 port) has gotten a bit further than it was the last time I checked.
Given what one of those evergreen cpu's cost $100+ it would probably be
worthwhile to spen US$125 on a umc 486/pci board and an amd 5x86-133
(basically a 486).

On Sat, 9 Aug 1997, Marcus Berglund wrote:

> This is probably a question that has come up before, but I wouldn't know,
> anyway:
>
> TI put out a series of CPU's that would bring various CPU's up a level or
> two, eg. 286 to 386/486 or 386 to 486/586
> The question: If linux supports the hardware for my 286, will the 386/486
> upgrade work? or are there larger problems?
>
> ---------------------------------------
> "When all of your wishes are granted,
> many of your dreams will be destroyed",
> Man That You Fear - Marilyn Manson
>
> mabs@netdig.com.au

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
ANTC & NSRC joelja@ns.uoregon.edu
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage