Re: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 15:02:30 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> "Stephen R. van den Berg writes"
>

> |> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but as far as I know, NTFS allows for
> |> completely arbitrary equivalence tables (in Unicode).
> |> --
> |> Sincerely, srb@cuci.nl
>
> So does this mean that the interpretation of a removable disk's NTFS
> depends on the host it is mounted to ?!?!?
> Or will there be a "TRANS.TBL" like file somewhere in the NTFS itself
> (if so, how is it named if every character could be re-defined ?)
>
> Strange, strange...

AFAIK NTFS stores in unicode-16 format...
... and Microsoft's interpretation is fixed I think... so no need for
trans.tbl.

VFAT is stored in Unicode-16 format.

This just means there's no need to translate out of Unicode space...
[Umm.... Linux CAN handle unicode in filenames, right? That's the
impression I get from browsing source but I don't know...]

G'day, eh?
- Teunis