Re: Msdos name alias patch for 2.1.48 ; Macintosh HFS

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Fri, 8 Aug 1997 17:12:11 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 8 Aug 1997, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> On Thursday 7 August 97, at 16 h 16, the keyboard of Linus Torvalds
> <torvalds@transmeta.com> wrote:
>
> > What sort of case-insensitivity do various filesystems currently support?
> > Are we talking A-Z only, Latin1, or what? I guess we don't really need to
> > worry about what could theoretically be the worst case, but what MS-DOS,
> > NT, OS/2 etc actually do right now..
>
> On Macintosh's HFS (remember there is a very good HFS module for Linux,
> atltough it is not yet distributed with the kernel), there is apparently
> no translation at all, at least not in the Finder (as someone recalled,
> MS-DOS != COMMAND.COM). "carré" and "CARRÉ" (I hope you see 8-bits
> characters) are the same file but "CARRE" is not.
>
> The strange thing is there is one translation in AppleTalk (zone names
> are case-insensitive) and it is documented in "Inside AppleTalk".
> Apparently, "carré", "CARRÉ" and "CARRE" are the same zone.

On that note - Why is HFS _NOT_ present in the kernel?
[I keep trying to find it, lose it, then forget to patch into the current
kernel I'm using <sigh>....]

And I could _USE_ it :)
[for some CD's I have + floppy-exchange with my Powerbook :]

TIA!
- Teunis