Re: Memory Management - BSD vs Linux

Noel Maddy (ncm@biostat.hfh.edu)
Mon, 11 Aug 1997 14:29:58 -0400

On 11 Aug 1997, Darren Reed wrote:
> In some mail I received from Theodore Y. Ts'o, sie wrote
> >
> > [3] Can any of these systems have
> > a) swap files rather than partitions
> > b) dynamically growing swap space?
> > As far as I can make out, the answeris no!
> >
> > Linux can swap to files (multiple files if necessary), and there is a
> > user-mode daemon that can allow you to dyanmically grow swap space (by
> > allocating a new file).
>
> NetBSD has swapfiles and does not require a daemon to be running for more
> to be added. NetBSD has also since moved on from just swap(2) to having
> swapctl(2) which supports things like swap files/partitions with different
> priorities and a replacement program for swapon - swapctl(8).

Do you mean that NetBSD monitors the available swap space and
automatically adds more without a daemon, or just that more swap space
can be added via swapctl without a daemon running? Linux does the
latter without a daemon--the daemon Ted mentioned does the former.

--
"Some Internet functionality may require Internet access..."
                                      - Microsoft Office 97 requirements