Re: bind sucks?

Michael K. Johnson (johnsonm@redhat.com)
Tue, 12 Aug 1997 15:05:12 -0400

Philip Gladstone writes:
>If you were creating connections at a high rate,

Yep. Lots of small files. Only a couple large files.

>then it is possible
>that you ran into the BSD time wait reuse bug. This is fixed in
>pre3 (I think). Thus DaveM's pre2 fixed the port number allocation
>problem, and pre3 fixed the BSD time wait problem, but nothing
>(except my hacked up version) fixes both!

Ah, that makes sense.

>How are the problems with DaveM's pre2 manifesting themselves?

Mirroring a lot of mostly small files; probably thousands, on a
local network. After several minutes of mirroring an I don't know
how many connections, I'm getting error messages from mirror on some,
but not all, files. The ftp daemon's complaint is:
425 Can't build data connection: Cannot assign requested address.

michaelkjohnson

prudent as the heavy petting of literature." -- Fran Lebowitz