RE: 2.1.49 not umount cleanly

Richard B. Johnson (root@analogic.com)
Wed, 13 Aug 1997 20:38:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Meino Christian Cramer wrote:

> Hi !
>
> Same with my box:
>
> Some times all umounts are done, sometimes
> "foo bar is busy" is reported at shutdown
> and then this partitions are fsck'ed at
> reboot.
[SNIPPED]
> On 13-Aug-97 Tsurng-Chen Chern wrote:
> >
> > Don't know whether you guys notice or not? After I
> > switch to 2.1.49, every time I reboot the machine, there
> > are some partitions not coming up cleanly, need to be fsck'ed.
> > Is there a problem with the kernel?
[SNIPPED]

I notice this to. However, if I manually do everything....

# kill -TERM -1
# sync
# kill -KILL -1
# sync
# umount -a # Sometimes fails with 'busy`
# mount -n -o remount /
# umount -a # always works
... Now hit the boot switch...

Maybe there is a timing problem so the last writes to the file-systems
haven't occurred by the time `shutdown` halts the system???? If I do
this slowly, waiting for the HD LEDs to go out, it seems to work every
time.

Cheers,
DJ
Richard B. Johnson
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.49 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
Warning : It's hard to stay on the trailing edge of technology.
Linux : Engineering tool
Windows : Typewriter