Re: Killing clones

mjr@iki.fi
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 08:13:18 +0300 (EET DST)

On 14 Aug, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
> For proper balance, normal processes need a single thread.

Hmm, essentially true.

> Symmetry requires numbering unthreaded processes from 0x10000.
> They still show up with low numbers and can be killed with the
> low numbers.
>
> That gets rid of some special case code for thread #1.

Yes. Additionally, the POSIXly correct killing could still be controlled
by a flag I suggested in my previous post, with even less special cases.
(Though POSIX signaling to threads brings some special cases, I think -
for example, at least SIGKILL, SIGSTOP and SIGCONT would have to be sent
to all threads. That's the impression I have, anyway. These would also
be non-trivial to implement in userspace, which kind of supports
putting them in the kernel... At least I failed to come up with a
working solution in the last two minutes :)

--
Mikko Rauhala, reservin sivari - mjr@iki.fi - http://www.iki.fi/mjr/