Re: 2.0.31 patches

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Thu, 14 Aug 1997 14:11:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Martin von Loewis wrote:

> > Any chance of Michael O'Reilly's kmalloc fds patch (for >256 fds/process)
> > getting into a standard 2.0.3x?
>
> I hope not. This is a new feature, and Linux 2.0.3x should not introduce
> new features.
>
> P.S. Why is the concept of stable releases where only bugs get fixed
> so difficult to understand?

Probably because even if that is the intent of 2.0.x, it's certainly not
the reality. Quite a few new drivers have been added to 2.0.x, and there
have been some pretty signifigant code changes in old sections.

If "stable" releases were only for bug fixes, would DaveM's ISS have had
to go into 2.1.x and not be seen by the masses until 2.2.x?

>256fd support is a feature, but the patch is not a huge one. It's been
in heavy use at many sites for at least 5 months (so it's not really that
new anymore), and if you have applications that require it, it can be seen
as a bug fix rather than new feature. Try running a busy ircd with 256 fd
support.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |