Re: pre-5 Aiih!

Doug Ledford (dledford@dialnet.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:35:41 -0500

--------
> On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, Doug Ledford wrote:
> > > When using the aic7xxx with 31 tagged commands, I sometimes get timeouts
> > > resulting in 'Aiih's. This is very annoying if I had a crash and 'e2fsck'
> > > craches over and over again...
> > >
> > > Using just 8 tagged commands seems to work fine. Where can I adjust these
> > > timeouts?

> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> Vendor: SANYO Model: CRD-254S Rev: 1.02
> Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 04 Lun: 00
> Vendor: CONNER Model: CFP4207S 4.28GB Rev: 1524
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 06 Lun: 00
> Vendor: MICROP Model: 1598-15MD1084001 Rev: SIH0
> Type: Direct-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 01 CCS
>
> Adaptec AIC7xxx driver version: 4.1/3.2

> One nice enhancement would be to allow different depths of tagged queues
> on each device/lun.

The latest version of the driver (the one in 2.0.31-pre-5 and up) does
include the ability to adjust the command depth on an individual drive
basis. Look in the aic7xxx.c source file, within the first few hundred
lines is where this is located, it's the #define AIC7XXX_IND_CMDS_PER_LUN
variable plus the associated command depth array.

As for the abort/reset fixes, I hadn't realized when I emailed you that it
was being caused by the QUEUE_FULL handling (and really it shouldn't but
that's another issue). In any case, I used to have a patch that implemented
a different QUEUE_FULL handling mechanism that avoided this problem, but
I've lost it so I'm going to have to re-write that patch. The abort/reset
fixes I'm doing right now probably won't help you much. However, I will be
mailing my first version for testing to the aic7xx mailing list sometime
today (I'm getting ready to reboot and start testing right now).

* Doug Ledford                      *   Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x,     *
* dledford@dialnet.net    873-DIAL  *     WfW, Windows 95 & NT Technician   *
*   Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
*   communities.  Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other  *
*   873-9000 V.34                   * services available, call for info.    *