Re: Killing clones (threads)

Benjamin Saller Bender (case@loki.appliedtheory.com)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:02:12 -0400

Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl <mailto:Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> writes:
>Oh, we should be very precise. Threads are tricky, and POSIX is very preci
se.
>Fortunately it says:
>
> When a signal is delivered to a thread, if the action of that signal
> specifies termination, stop or continue, the entire process shall be
> terminated, stopped, or continued, respectively.

Its still the situation where your fixing a granularity problem that
the standard allows for. This way some signals have process level granularity
and some have thread granularity.
To put it another way, if the telephone in the room rings you and
everyone has to figure out if its for them, vs using a pager(set to vibrate) ;>
Ok, maybe thats not the best example, but I really don't think that signals
and threads mix well.

--
Benjamin Saller Bender 			<case@AppliedTheory.com>
AppliedTheory Communications		Software Engineering Group