Re: Linux-2.0.31 - the Saga Continues...

Jon Lewis (jlewis@inorganic5.fdt.net)
Fri, 15 Aug 1997 11:45:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 Aug 1997, Mailing List Reader wrote:

> > Could people please test it out, and only comment on real show-stoppers.
> > As of #6 I'm going to ignore the small stuff. I want to get 31 out the
> > door, and if it means that we'll end up with a 32 too, that's ok. The plan
> > is to make 2.0.31 this weekend, so you have been warned..
> >
> > Linus
> >
> I didn't see any changes to the 3c509 driver since the upgrade in pre#5,
> did I miss something?
>
> If it is the same, then I may have a show stopper. Just moved a machine I
> had been prepping to come online to the live network (it isn't getting
> traffic to it, just sitting on thee ether) from my test net.
>
> after a brief time (anywhere from a few hours to one minute) it gets
> infinite loop in interupt messages and doesn't see the net anymore...
> sometimes ifdown, and theen back up will reset it, sometimes a cold
> boot is required...

Was the system transfering lots of data when the card locked up? If so,
this may not be a new problem. Several people have seen similar problems
with the 3c509 driver for at least serveral kernel versions. Ususally it
only affects 486's though.

Jon Lewis <jlewis@fdt.net> | Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
Network Administrator | be proof-read for $199/message.
Florida Digital Turnpike |