Re: 2.0.31-pre-patch-6 and gadi's patch

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
16 Aug 1997 22:03:52 +0200

Joel Gallun <joel@lorax.dc-sage.org> writes:

> I built a kernel from a clean 2.0.31-pre-patch-6 and Gadi's
> patch to memory management and did a 'make -j zImage'. It
> died with 'virtual memory exhusted' compiling the fs directory.
>
> There were no kernel messages in dmesg or syslog.
>
> 16mb ram + 32 mb swap.
>
> joel

In fact, patch has nothing to do with "memory exhaustion".
To compile kernel with "make -j" you need almost 100MB of virtual
memory space, so your 48 just wasn't enough.

You can try with "make -j 10" with your memory configuration.

Or you can increase your swap space.

--
Posted by Zlatko Calusic           E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>
	    The world is coming to an end. Please log off.