Re: large file support?

Baldur Norddahl (bbn@dark.x.dtu.dk)
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 12:04:50 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sat, 16 Aug 1997, Lance Dillon wrote:

> well, as for ntfs, it *says* (the specs, i suppose) it supports up to
> 4tb, but i wouldnt quite trust it, because we had a file over like 2
> gigs at work , and it didnt matter how much over that it was, it
> truncated the size to the 2 gig mark....
>
> that is too say, the file was that big, but a dir in a command window,
> and the file manager, would only say 2gig...
>
> i dont know if i would trust much of anything else requiring file sizes
> over 2gig...

A WinNT program must have special support to be able to handle large
files. Don't expect microsofts own programs to have this support :-)

Also, the smb network filesystem do not support anything larger than 4 GB.
If you mount a disk greater than 4 GB, it will only show up as a 4 GB
disk. If you mount it from Win 3.11 it will only be 2 GB.

But the point is, if a program needs to handle large files, like a SQL
database, it can do it and it works.

Baldur