Re: why multiple ext3fs partions in a single dos partition is good.

Dave Cinege (dcinege@psychosis.com)
Mon, 18 Aug 97 00:02:35 -0500

On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 11:35:26 +1000 (EST), Darren Reed wrote:

>In some mail I received from Dave Cinege, sie wrote
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Aug 1997 10:29:40 +1000 (EST), Darren Reed wrote:
>>

>> >For those of us who don't run only linux, we may have 3 partitions already
>> >setup for other operating systems, including DOS/Windows, with one of those
>> >as an extended partition.
>>
>> What the hell are you talking about?
>> I run DOS, 2 copies of OS/2, NT and Linux all from the same 'drive' (RAID)
>
>Yes, and so do I but with only / for Linux. People have been saying "use
>extended partitions" but that isn't always an option due to the numerous
>PC limitations.

Cow cookies. It is not always an option when dealing with Microsoft based
software, not the PC itself. And then it is only a problem if you are
pathetic enough to run several copies of MS-DOS or Win95. (that's require
primaries)

This of course is completily moot if you run a program like system commander
that bypasses this requirment all together.

For the above I only run 2 primary partitions (And DOS and boot manager). I
used to run NO primary partitions besides the OS/2 bootmanager. OpenDOS will
reside quite happily on an extended partition if, it is the first type 6 (ie
C:) I went back to a primary because NT was too fucking dumb to figure out
how to boot without it.

http://www.psychosis.com/emc/ Elite MicroComputers 908-541-4214
http://www.psychosis.com/linux-router/ Linux Router Project