Re: Modular sound driver

Hannu Savolainen (hannu@4front-tech.com)
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 09:29:59 +0300 (EET DST)

On Sat, 23 Aug 1997, Mike Wangsmo wrote:

> The next release of the modularized sound drivers for 2.0.30 is available for
> your music testing pleasure on ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/sound.
>
> There are patches against 2.1.48 as well, thanks to Pekka Pietik. :)
Unfortunately I don't have any way to include these patches to OSS/Free.
So it looks it's now the time to separate OSS/Free and the kernel sound
drivers. The plan is the following.

I still continue releasing new versions of OSS/Free. However the version
released by me is no longer included in the kernel as is. This means that
somebody else starts maintaining the sound driver included in the kernel
sources and incorporates the changes made to OSS/Free to the kernel
distribution. In practice this means the kernel sound maintainer takes
diffs between the latest and previous OSS/Free versions and applies them
to kernel.

I think the above method is the only practical way to let Linux hackers to
make changes to the sound drivers while still providing compatibility with
the OSS API.

So is there anybody willing to start maintaining the linux/drivers/sound
directory in the above way?

Best regards,

Hannu
-----