Re: Timings for optimised poll(2)

Joel Philip Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Sun, 24 Aug 1997 00:45:47 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 24 Aug 1997, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Peter Leif Rasmussen writes:
> > Hi Richard,

> > 486DX2/66MHz: 4200 us (linux 2.0.30)
> > 486SLC2/50MHz: 10000 us (linux 2.1.51)
> > 386SX/20MHz: 24400 us (linux 2.0.29)
> >
> > Without having access to any Pentium computer, I find it difficult to believe
> > that you got 1.5 us with your test program?! If you did, could you
> > give a point of view as to why you think the numbers are so different?
>
> The same test takes 342 microseconds on a PPro 180 MHz. Why the
> difference? Because the Pentium is a better chip than the 486 and
> because the memory bandwidth is better. Similarly, the PPro is better
> than the Pentium and PPro systems have a higher bandwidth to L1 cache,
> L2 cache and main memory than Pentium systems.

pentium seems to slot right in there where you'd expect it. A p-133
(2.1.49) got 1455 us.

cheers
joelja
Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
ANTC & NSRC joelja@ns.uoregon.edu
"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage