Re: UTF-8, OSTA-UDF [why?], Unicode, and miscellaneous gibberish

Kai Henningsen (kai@khms.westfalen.de)
26 Aug 1997 03:30:00 +0200

abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us (Alex Belits) wrote on 21.08.97 in <Pine.LNX.3.95.970821185817.16080G-100000@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>:

> On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Erik Corry wrote:
>
> > Since Chinese and Japanese are not related languages, the
> > grammar will naturally be completely different.
> >
> > > and may be written/typesetted differently.
> >
> > Typesetting is not the domain of the character set or encoding.
>
> Typesetting rules are derived from language, and language information is
> present in native encoding + metatadata, but lost in Unicode.

Surprise! Use Unicode+metadata and keep the information. Or use native
encoding without metadata and lose it, too. So what's new?

> Software doesn't exist because it's impossible to write anything based on
> Unicode without losing quality below the level, already provided by

You misspelt "gaining quality".

> It simplifies issues for GUI-writers and creates a nightmare for everyone
> else. Of course, Microsoft doesn't care about anything but GUI, but I do.

Of course, _nobody_ has presented the slightest shred of evidence that it
creates nightmares for anybody, and there is some evidence that it
actually eliminates such nightmares (such as supporting two dozen
different, incompatible character sets, maybe with an abomination like ISO
2022 as "solution", and not covering half as much territory).

Plus, there's no reason why GUI writers should profit more than anybody
else.

MfG Kai