Re: pre-9 freeze with loop-fs

Hauke Johannknecht (ash@ash.ccc.de)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 08:03:55 +0200 (MET DST)

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Benjamin C R LaHaise wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Sep 1997, Hauke Johannknecht wrote:
> > if i mount two fs via loopback (just dont ask why and what)
> > and copy some megs (around 100) via
> > ( cd <sourcedir> && tar cpf - * ) | tar xvpf -
> > and then make a df after some minutes of copying my system
> > comes to a full stop. instant silence. no message. no log.
> > just a "cli && hlt"-style freeze.
> If you actually mean the loopback filesystem that I wrote, then there's a
> couple of reasons why it might freeze. But I presume you actually mean
> the loop-device, in which case it's probably a deadlock resulting from
> dirty buffers/lack of buffer heads.
uh. didnt know there are two loop-whatevers. :)
i think i mean the loop-device. i mount a file containing a
ext2-fs. (again. dont ask why. :)

already got two patches to test. :) (compili, compila ...)
one from werner fink. so it seem to be the buffers. ;)

Gruss,
Hauke

--
Hauke Johannknecht               5johannk@informatik.uni-hamburg.de