Re: Adaptec driver broken on 2740T

Alberto Vignani (a.vignani@crf.it)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 16:48:19 +0200

Chris Radek wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Sep 1997, "Steven N. Hirsch" <shirsch@ibm.net> writes:
>
> > I have bad news. The adaptec aic7xxx driver in Linux 2.0.31-pre-9 is
> > broken for my EISA bus 2740T controller. It seems to scan the drives on
> > bus A properly, then goes into an endless loop of kernel paging errors and
> > scsi resets when attempting to scan bus B (which has nothing on it, BTW).
>
> Unfortunately I'm seeing the same behavior with 2.0.31-pre-9. I also
> have an EISA 2740-Twin with the B bus empty. This is on a mixed
> SCSI/IDE SMP system.

Curious... I had a similar fault on 2.1.51, and I reported it to this
list
a couple of weeks ago. My card is a PCI one, and always worked perfectly
up
to 2.1.42.

It turned out that I had some remains from old patches, and I had to
restart
from a clean kernel tree. So I tried 2.1.53 with all secondary aic7xxx
config
options ON, and got two complete system locks while accessing the SCSI
disk.
Hopefully no file was lost.

I recompiled the kernel with all secondary options OFF, and I had no
more
problems since then.

I have not followed the 2.0.31 development, but my feeling is that now
the
aic driver is the same for 2.0 and 2.1 kernels. Right?

Alberto