Re: Kernel Geeks Unite?

Ben Clifford (benc@dass.Prestel.Co.UK)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 21:59:22 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, James Mastros wrote:

> I propose we take a clue from the Windoze
> world (sickening though it seems <G>) and make drivers sepperate modules,
> with sepperate tarballs.

> All the kernel support we need is to make it
> easyer to link a sepperate module into the kernel. How hard would it be to
> make it possible to link a module into the kernel? (Assuming that the
> module is compatible with that kernel version...

Even that isn't necessary. Using an initial ramdisk loaded by, say, lilo,
the module can be insmod'd as part of the startup process.

If enough modules are available as modules only, the distributors would
start making startup procedures which did this.

--
PGP 0xD4C9C0B1 http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7456/
1425kb of spam & junk filtered; Linux 2.1.54 on dass up for 3 days