Re: Final pre-2.0.31.. Expect this to be same as real 2.0.31

Henrik Storner (storner@image.dk)
Wed, 10 Sep 1997 22:49:02 +0200

Mark Habersack <grendel@hoth.amu.edu.pl> wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Leonard N. Zubkoff wrote:

>> Looks like that pre-2.0.31-9 has no problems with "can not get a free page"
>> in low memory situation.
>Unfortunately it does have it. On an old i38640/8MB 10meg swap, it still
>gives that message when compiling something large or exiting X. It happens
>even though MM_DEBUG in mm/vmscan.c has been undefined. On a 32meg P150
>nothing like this happens even on a heavily loaded system.

I also got quite a few "Couldn't get a free page" messages while
testing the Olicom Token-Ring driver currently being developed,
especially if I was beating the disk hard at the same time -
e.g. unpacking kernel sources and such. This was on a 20 MB
486 w/ ISA bus only.

(The driver uses DMA for data transfer, so it needs 4 KB
buffers below 16 MB for the ISA cards - that appears to
trigger it)

I tried the old
echo "128 256 1024" >/proc/sys/vm/freepages
and haven't seen it since.

--
Henrik Storner                               http://www.image.dk/~storner/
"The POP3 server service depends on the SMTP server service, which