Re: Bizarre difference in uptimes for same kernel

Peter Benie (pjb1008@cam.ac.uk)
Thu, 11 Sep 1997 10:30:43 +0100

linux kernel account writes ("Re: Bizarre difference in uptimes for same kernel"):
> On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Rob Partington wrote:
>
> > Is it possible that compiling the kernel with pgcc instead of gcc
> > actually makes for a more stable kernel?
>
> I've compiled everything on my system with pgcc and I have did not see the
> lockups you described

My experience with pgcc is not so good. I compiled the kernel (2.0.30,
SMP Pentium Pro) with gcc and pgcc. The gcc the kernel works fine (apart
from lockups with ptrace). The pgcc kernel is fine 99% of the time, but
suffers from random weirdness... I found I had lots of lpd processes
running (they're supposed to read their bit of the printcap and die
immediately) and ypbind stopped trying to write into the binding directory
(perhaps it couldn't get its domain from uname?). Needless to say, I
switched back to the gcc kernel fairly quickly.

Peter Benie