Re: local prototype declarations

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Fri, 12 Sep 1997 10:02:49 -0700

From: "Ulrich Windl" <ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 11:39:27 +0200

I know that all of you are working hard, and it might seem
inapropriate to bring up this issue, but anyway:

I think that declaring function prototypes in a local scope is a bad
thing for anything else but ugly short-term hacks. There is no check
that the prototype will match the functions signature on the long
term. The proper ways is to include the corresponding header file.

Why I'm telling you? I thought I've seen a local prototype in
keyboard.c for allow_interrupts() or something like that in the patch
2.0.31-pre9...

Precisely. The allow_interrupts function is definitely a short term ugly hack
that was only introduced to workaround the 2.0.x SMP deadlock problem.

Leonard