Re: 2.0.31pre9 and aic7xxx

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sat, 13 Sep 1997 11:24:29 +0200 (MET DST)

Chel van Gennip wrote:

> Doug Ledford <dledford@dialnet.net> wrote:
> >--------
> >> I write:
> >>
> >> Ah, I see. I guess this is a feature, rather than a bug - the driver doesn't
> >> use the SA_INTERRUPT flag any more. Tch.
> >>
> >> p.
> >
> >On roughly line 357, the #define AIC7XXX_OLD_ISR_TYPE is commented out.
> >Uncomment this, and it will share interrupts with your ncr scsi controller.
> >The reason for the change is that the ISR can take a significant amount of
> >time during an interrupt as it does its completion processing, so this flag
> >really shouldn't be used, plus it was conflicting with a lot of ethernet
> >card drivers that wanted to share the interrupt (tulip most notably).
>
> There is a patch available to share the two kinds of interrupts, see
> http://www.vangennip.nl/linux
> This patch has been on the tulip/vortex list for some time. Until now
> I only have positive reports.
>
> Please do not make these kind of changes in a 2.0.30 => 2.0.31 update,
> this makes some systems incompattible between 2.0.30 and 2.0.31.
> The aic7xxx is used on boards with 2 and 3 controlers, and _HAS_ to share
> interrupts!

If it is on a board with more controllers they will all use the
different interrupt type. So they can share it again. Only sharing
between different interrupt types was impossible, until your patch
came along, it seems.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a