Re: 2.0.31-pre9 -- floppy0: Unable to allocate DMA memory

Michael Meskes (meskes@topsystem.de)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 14:46:29 +0200 (CEST)

You wrote:

> # superformat /dev/fd0
> Formatting cylinder 62, head 0 format: Out of memory

I believe the DMA memory needed for floppy access has to be in the first
32MB of memory. I've had this problem frequently until I put the floppy
driver into the kernel (not a module anymore) and mount the floppy during
reboot. Since then it works. But I have my floppy mounted most of the time,
so I guess the DMA memory isn't released while it is mounted. During my
short umount, remount read/write, copy tripwire database to floppy, umount,
mount read only cycles I had no problem so far.

> superformat /dev/fd0
> open: No such device or address

If you call superformat without additional options it inherits the floppy
options from the device. If it is not initialized you're in trouble.

Michael

--
Dr. Michael Meskes, Project-Manager    | topsystem Systemhaus GmbH
meskes@topsystem.de                    | Europark A2, Adenauerstr. 20