Re: S.M.A.R.T.

Mon, 15 Sep 1997 00:27:35 +0200 (MET DST)

On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Gadi Oxman wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Darin Johnson wrote:
>
> > What is this anyway? I just bought a hard drive and saw the
> > S.M.A.R.T. logo, and thought it was just another logo.
>
> S.M.A.R.T -- "Self Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology", is
> a feature which is available on new disk drives, and enables the drive
> to monitor and report several internal parameters over time, in an attempt
> to predict a suspected failure in the future before it actually occurs.

I am very glad to know that IDE disks needed such a feature to become
SMART.
In my opinion, as long as they will not be able to:
- Really disconnect the bus
- Allow command queuing
- Implement parity checking
- Allow long cable
- Etc ..

Any complex feature will not make them SMART in my opinion.

Just a question:
Do you have information about availability of ULTRA SMART? ;)

Gerard.