RE: I20 to cause problems for linux et al. (fwd)

Gerhard Mack (gmack@mail.chill.org)
Tue, 16 Sep 1997 14:45:15 -0700 (PDT)

I had a look at the website:

The non disclosure agreement ONLY applies to the hardware info to create
cards using the faster bus, last I checked Linux wasn't in the hardware
biz, if it was a $5250 fee would be the least of the neccesary expences.
The fees are:
$5000 to join
$250 to get the specs neccesary to descide whether to join or not

What this means for Linux: $5000 is cheap enough to allow for a lot of
clones.

Sit back and relax all this really means is that some very fast video
cards are comming. :)

Please don't panic, this is NOT a bad thing.

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, David Rusling wrote:
> Love will find a way
>
> >----------

Gerhard Mack
gmack@mail.chill.org

Of all tyannies a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's
victims may be the most oppressive. It may be the better to live under
robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's
cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated;
but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for
they do so with the approval of their own consience
-C.S. Lewis
learn about the OS of the future: www.linux.org
boycott Microsoft:
http://www.vcnet.com/bms/