RE: lp broken?

Mike Bristow (mike@shivan.demon.co.uk)
Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:16:48 +0100 (BST)

On 17-Sep-97 Robert L Harris wrote:
> I'm running 2.1.54 still. Sometime in the past kernel revs I now
> get no printer. This is all I get on initialization:
>
> Sep 16 16:52:03 dogbert kernel: lp: driver loaded but no devices found

Sounds like you are using modules for your printer. I got a similar error at
first (although I can't remember if it was with .54 or .55)

Adding alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc in /etc/conf.modules sorted it out
(or parport_someotherarch if you don't have a pc clone. I forget which
arch's have this, it's not all of them but it is more than pc's)

> I have /dev/lp0, lp1 and lp2. Does anyone know of lp is broken
> in this kernel? Is is fixed in a future rev?
>
> A side note. While doing a "grep lp /proc/*" I get a really interesting
> core file dropped to pwd. This may or may-not be critical, but then again,
> I'm not good at finding exploits.

As a non-root user, I don't (but then permision is denied on /proc/kcore which
might cause this)

---
Mike Bristow - mike@shivan.demon.co.uk

What's page one, a preemptive strike? -- Professor Freund, Communication, Ramapo State College