Re: Strange 2.1.55 lockup

Ben Clifford (benc@dass.Prestel.Co.UK)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:41:32 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Marko Siladin wrote:

> I installed 2.1.55 yesterday night and had it running for about 18
> hours. I came back today after work and found my computer virtually
> locked up. The only thing I could do was switch between virtual
> terminals with ATL-F?. Any other keys gave no response.

Does that include the Alt-SysRq functionality - eg. Alt-SysRq-Space brings
up a list of options?

If it happens again and Alt-SysRq does work, press Alt-SysRq-T to show a
task list - the thirld column should be mainly filled with S, however one
task, at least, will have an R next to it. That is that task that is
causing problems.

There is/was a problem which caused the same symptoms in the networking
code which seemed to be trigged by sending large fragmented packets when
there were no big memory blocks left. I haven't experienced it within the
past couple of kernel revisions, though.

--
PGP 0xD4C9C0B1 http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/7456/
1520kb of spam & junk filtered; Linux 2.1.56 on dass up for 22 hours