Re: sockfs - a filesystem for reserved port permissions

Dean Gaudet (dgaudet-list-linux-kernel@arctic.org)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 09:58:06 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Malcolm Beattie wrote:

> Dean Gaudet writes:
> > Unfortunately I don't think this will work with 2.0.30 and later because
> > the anonymous socket allocation code also needs to know these permissions.
> > That's the code which calculates the "random" port for a socket that's
> > bound to port 0.
>
> Surely anonymous sockets shouldn't get bound to port numbers less
> than 1024 (i.e. PROT_SOCK)? The kernel patch I made was a bit wrong
> though. Instead of

Oh I was more concerned about sockets above 1024 -- I was assuming the
patch would let me do things like protect port 8000 so that a specific
user can use it.

Dean