Re: VIC and Matrox Meteor

Gerd Knorr (kraxel@goldbach.isdn.cs.tu-berlin.de)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 00:31:48 +0200

In article <m0xBl7P-0005FoC@lightning.swansea.linux.org.uk>, you wrote:
>> I recommend the Video Capture Card which has a Bt848 chip.
>> It works on Linux.
>
>Ditto - and its a nice way to watch TV. But does anyone have vic or nv
>patches for the bt848 based boards like wintv/pci

No. Grabbing does'nt work (yet). I had just today a short look at the
sources becauce I plan to do some vic-experiments with my card. Maybe
I give it a try next days...

As far I can see, the main problem are the mm tricks. The card needs
some memory where it can transfer the image to (using DMA). As far I
know, there are two ways to do this:

1) alloc some kernel memory and allow the program to mmap this. The
bttv readme states some drivers do it this way, but allocate the
memory at boot time (which is a no-no for a module of cource).
Does kmalloc()ed memory work too?
2) Take userland memory and lock it. There is a comment in the source
which says it doesn't work yet (i.e. the module can't lock the
memory). Is this still true?
A experimental grabber program uses mlock() to do this job, but
I don't like this becauce mlock() requires root priviliges.

Any other hints? Does a existing driver use something like this?

Gerd

--
Never check for a error condition you don't know how to handle.