Re: Regarding VGA Fonts ?

Teunis Peters (teunis@usa.net)
Fri, 19 Sep 1997 12:14:28 -0600 (MDT)

On Sat, 20 Sep 1997, Sachin Garg wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Teunis Peters wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Sachin Garg wrote:
> >
> > > Where can I get more information related to the screen fonts used by Linux
> > > to display text on the console? If I set a font say t.fnt on my machine,
> > > how is it possible (if at all) to use the same font on some machine which
> > > is telnetting into my machine?

[snip-snip :]

> I read that, but what i want to know is "is there any relationship
> between postscript fonts and these .psf fonts?"

Nope - truetypes are either bitmaps (rare - like .psf) or vector fonts
(line drawing-based including curves).

Truetype fonts on the whole aren't all that well supported under Linux...
(does X yet use them?) But that's likely to change.

The console just can't handle them (too complex, and besides the fight
over whether graphics are going into the kernel is over [NO! - but see
GGI]) [I'd like to see console in userspace though <grin>]

G'day, eh?
- Teunis