Re: OFFTOPIC: Regarding NT vs Linux

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cyphercom.com)
Sun, 21 Sep 1997 14:27:49 -0400

From: "Russell...account" <bofh@snoopy.virtual.net.au>
To: ellis@ftel.net (Rick Ellis)
Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: OFFTOPIC: Regarding NT vs Linux

[...]

Does anyone have any reports of a Linux system with 2 CPUs running
faster than a system with a single CPU?

A friend of mine has a 2xPii-266 and I was playing with it (booted of a Jaz
drive - its an NT machine) for a couple of hours.

Parallel kernel compiles are considerably faster. Network and disk
performance didn't seem to be noticably slower, but it is somewhat difficult
to tell without propery testing using a real setup.

Anyhow, the toying I did do did infact seem to be quicker - so now I want
one :) (Actually, might get a Sparc instead)

DaveM has probably done tests on the SMP Sparc64 machines and would have a
good idea on which operations are faster and which are slower?

-Chris