Re: Kernel 2.0.31pre9 memory leak (or where did all the memory go?)

Chris Adams (cadams@ro.com)
22 Sep 1997 15:35:41 GMT

Daniel Ryde <ryde@tripnet.se> wrote:
>Pre9 is not working properly. We have several machines running it and
>after an amount of time (a couple of days) all the memory has vanished.

[snip]

>Hardware:
>ASUS P/I-P55TP4XE
>P5/133 Mhz
>Memory: 31132k/32768k available (564k kernel code, 384k reserved, 688k data)
>ide: i82371 PIIX (Triton) on PCI bus 0 function 57
> ide0: BM-DMA at 0xe800-0xe807
> ide1: BM-DMA at 0xe808-0xe80f
>hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL1280A, 1222MB w/83kB Cache, CHS=621/64/63, DMA
>eth0: 3Com 3c590 Vortex 10Mbps at 0xe400, 00:20:af:cf:21:35, IRQ 10
> 32K byte-wide RAM 1:1 Rx:Tx split, 10baseT interface.
>3c59x.c:v0.44 9/9/97

I have seen the same thing - big memory leak in 2.0.31-pre9. I have now
seen it on two machines.

Both machines have Tyan 1562D motherboards, one has 1 200MHz Pentium and
one has 2. They also both have Adaptec 2940 (one is a 787x and one is a
788x chip) and 3c590 cards. The 3Com card is the only thing in common
between our machines and the system above.

I reported the leak on my news server here last week, and sent some more
details near the end of last week. I don't have any details on the
other server, because someone else had to reboot it. This is the SMP
system. I logged in remotely and saw that the output of ps only added
up to around 75MB, but the report of free showed all 128MB of RAM and
some swap (don't remember that amount, it was around 10MB or so).

Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> also reported seeing a memory
leak in 2.0.31-pre9. It looks like he has a DEC Tulip based ethernet
card and a BusLogic SCSI card, so there is nothing in common there. The
only thing he mentions is that he has a lot of NFS traffic. While one
of my machines also has a lot of NFS traffic, the other (the news
server) has none at all.

I have INN compiled with the nnrpd-mmap-shared-active.patch and
mmap-overview.patch - maybe the memory leak relates to MMAP?

--
Chris Adams - cadams@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services