Re: Constant hangs with 2.0.31pre9

Ion Badulescu (ionut@moisil.cs.columbia.edu)
Mon, 22 Sep 1997 14:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 21 Sep 1997, Boris Seifert wrote:

> On Sep 20, 13:07, Adam D. Bradley wrote:
> > What kind of hardware are you using? (It wouldn't happen to include
> > heavily-used Adaptec SCSI card, would it?) Do the freezes occur when
> > the system is idle or loaded? How much RAM? etc etc etc...
>
> There was no pattern detectable in the crashes, one time it crashed at
> very high load, the next time, when the system was almost idle.
> In all cases it was hooked to the internet via modem/ppp, with multiple
> telnet and/or ftp sessions going. In most cases X was running.
>
> System:
>
> P 200 MMX w 48 MB FP-DRAM
> Gigabyte GA-586 HX MoBo Rev 1.56-DE
> Matrox Mystique 4 MB
> 2 Seagate ST 52520A Drives on MoBo's onboard Busmaster EIDE Interface
> 1 IBM 12x ATAPI CDROM
> Parallel ZIP Drive
> SB 16 PnP
> Conner Travan 1 Ftape streamer

Hmm.. I have the same problem with one box I have here, and apparently
there is no similarity whatsoever between my box and the box described
above, hardware-wise:

i486DX2/50 w/ 32 MB FP-DRAM
[some noname motherboard, VLB or ISA only]
Trident VGA on ISA
IDE hard drive WD 350MB
eth0: 3COM 3c509
eth1: WaveLAN

No X, just a bare console. The machine is doing mostly routing and NIS.

Nothing unusual in the configuration, except maybe IP multicasting. But
then I also have IP multicasting compiled in on my personal workstation
and never had a problem with it. I can send more info about .config upon
request.

What happens: if I reboot with 2.0.31-pre9 or 10, the machine locks up
_hard_ (no screen unblanking, nothing in the logs) within one day. 2.0.27
has no problems on the same machine.

Thanks,
Ionut

--
  It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool,
            than to open it and remove all doubt.