Re: A more accurate System.map, including modules

Keith Owens (kaos@ocs.com.au)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:25:03 +1000

On Mon, 22 Sep 1997 20:41:51 +0100 (BST),
alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk (Alan Cox) wrote:
>Whats wrong with insmod -m ? It seems there are an army of people reinventing
>before typing "man insmod"

Not this time, insmod -m was my first choice. However -m is only
supported by insmod, not by modprobe. kerneld does not pass the -m
flag so it would need to be changed. Where would insmod -m log to when
invoked from kerneld? Do we really want a set of symbols in syslog
every time kerneld loads a module? insmod -m only logs when modules
are loaded but there is no corresponding feature in rmmod to log when
symbols are removed. IMHO insmod -m does not quite cut the mustard.