Re: -ENOT_SUPPORTED_BY_THIS_DRIVE ?

Erik Andersen (andersee@debian.org)
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 19:14:31 +0000

On Wed, Sep 24, 1997 at 12:16:06AM +0200, Gerd Knorr wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Erik Andersen wrote:
>
> > I believe you are looking for ENOSYS.
> >
> > As one of the things I am doing in my ever-expanding-in-scope
> > CD include patch (see http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/files)
> > is to return ENOSYS for non-implemented functions instead of
> > EINVAL.
>
> Hmm, not exactly. "not implemented" (in the driver) is a bit different
> from "drive can't do".
>
> > Grep /usr/include/asm/errno.h some time and you will
> > have your eyes opened to all the official things that can go wrong.
>
> I *did* check this. Is there some standard paper which tells what the
> error codes mean? Lets take ENODEV as example. linux errno.h says:
>
> #define ENODEV 19 /* No such device */
>
> According to some other mail I got glibc 2.1 says:
>
> ENODEV = "Operation not supported by device"
>
> One of them is completely wrong...
>
> glibc is newer and probably checked against posix, so I think I'll take
> ENODEV.
>
> Gerd

Glibc is newer and all that, but you might want to double check your
source of info for glibc. The latest and greatest glibc is 2.0.5
(at least that is the latest in ftp://prep.ai.mit.edu/pub/gnu/). I
have glibc 2.0.4 installed and I get:

andersee@dillweed% grep "ENODEV" /usr/include/asm/errno.h
#define ENODEV 19 /* No such device */
andersee@dillweed% dpkg -S /usr/include/asm/errno.h
libc6-dev: /usr/include/asm/errno.h

This is with the latest and greatest Debian has to offer, so I think
that your information is flawed. I think that what is needed is that
you either should use ENOSYS or get a new error message added into glibc
and libc5.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/