Re: Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer... on cat /proc/pci

Magnus Sjoegren (m-23347@mailbox.swipnet.se)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:24:37 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Gabriel Paubert wrote:

> Your chipset is likely broken, a not present PCI device, should return
> ffff:ffff, some broken ones return 0000:0000 but yours is truly abnormal.
> Then the system thinks you have about 30 multifunction devices, each
> with 8 functions, true ?

Yes, something like that, 15 devices with 7 functions. No matter.

> Has the same problem been experienced by other people with the same
> chipset ?

Haven't found any facts about it.

> Could you try the following simple patch:
[snip]

Allright i did.
The patch got rid of the oops when doing a 'cat /proc/pci', good.

> Note: given the way devsels are ordered, this one should be
> "UltraSlow(TM) devsel" :-)
> But the name has already been taken by PCI to ISA bridges, they call it
> more elegantly "subtractive decoding", AKA "last chance decoding" or
> "Since nobody volunteers to answer to this bus request, I'll give it a try".

hehehe ;)

Magnus