Re: New feature

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cyphercom.com)
Wed, 24 Sep 1997 09:18:30 -0400

Subject: Re: New feature
To: davem@jenolan.rutgers.edu (David S. Miller)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 11:07:43 +0200 (MET DST)

David S. Miller wrote:

> Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:49:12 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Richard B. Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com>
>
> Correct! Now, is a directory access a file access? I don't think it
> should be.
>
> Why not? It has been forever at least for ext2. Have a look at the
> end of fs/ext2/dir.c:ext2_readdir().

David, if I'm reading Richard correctly, he is saying that besides the
Directory access times, all file access times have been touched too.
This (correctly) doesn't happen on 2.0.30.

If it does happen on 2.1.5x, then that's a bug.

What "should" happen is that on a ls -R all directory access times are
updated. All file access times should remain as they are.

2.1.56 here - and that's is what happens for me, as it (logically, IMO)
should.

If I do "ls -lR /" the atimes for directories is changed. This is what
should happen IMO, and is infact desirable for some things. (I've used it on
occasion).

I didn't see any of the file atimes updates, except for the odd config file,
etc. which is to be expected.

Perhaps 'ls' is opening some of the files for some reason?

If it matters, I'm using "ls -lt --time=atime" to display (and sort) the
access times.

-Chris