Re: Solaris 2.6 and Linux

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
26 Sep 1997 12:00:18 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199709261313.XAA15366@plum.cyber.com.au>,
Darren Reed <darrenr@cyber.com.au> wrote:

>It might be slow, but I'd much rather develop kernel stuff for Solaris than
>Linux, source code or no. You guys are still sorting out what to do with
>symbols from LKM's! At least stuff developed for Solaris (i.e STREAMS using
>DDI/DDK) has a good chance of working on another platform. I hate to remind
>you folks but "Linux ain't Unix" (hmm, that will really stir up some flames).
>/usr/include/* is so different, it's just not funny. You have no idea how
>discouraging that huge difference is to someone who works with the *BSD
>platforms and other commercial Unixes 99% of the time.

I suppose it depends on which someone you're talking about. I used
to work, pre-Linux, 99% of the time on xBSD platforms, and didn't
particularly notice much of a difference between /usr/include on
Linux vs a stock xBSD (some of the advanced coding environments on
Suns, though, would take a long time to track down just which include
file had what defined in it.)

Though I should note that I'm primarily an applications designer, and
don't touch the kernel unless I have to; I'd agree the kernel is
different, but is this any great surprise?

____
david parsons \bi/ It would be nice if Linux had a fixed public interface.
\/