Re: SOLUTION (Re: Style question: comparison between signed and unsigned?)

Andrew G. Morgan (morgan@parc.power.net)
Sat, 27 Sep 1997 09:29:54 -0700 (PDT)

Tom Dailey wrote:
> > Regarding 'read()', POSIX and ISO are simply different..
> >
> > POSIX: int read(int fd, void *buf, unsigned int nbytes)
> > ISO: ssize_t read(int fd, void *buf, size_t nbytes)
> > (2.0.31pre9):
> > asmlinkage int sys_read(unsigned int fd,char * buf,int count)

> I am fascinated by your distinction between "ISO" and "POSIX", since,
> as far as I know, these are the same. POSIX is defined by the standards
> document designated ISO/IEC 9945-1 (ANSI/IEEE Std 1003.1, Second
^^^^^^
> edition, 1996-07-12), and entitled "Information Technology - Portable

Ooops. I believe I'm correct with POSIX 1003.1-1988, but apparently the
world has moved on!

Thanks for the correction. :^)

Andrew

                  http://parc.power.net/morgan/index.html