Re: Process Migration on Linux - Impossible?

Eberhard Burr (Eberhard.Burr@stud.uni-karlsruhe.de)
27 Sep 1997 20:57:12 +0200

Larry McVoy <lm@linux.cobaltmicro.com> writes:

> [process migration, et al]
>
> I've done this before. You don't really mean process migration, you mean
> remote execution unless I misunderstood. Migration is something that you
> do to an existing process, remote execution is something you can do to
> a new process. The former is (a) a bad idea, and (b) extremely difficult and
> invasive to the kernel to fully implement. Fortunately, remote execution
> is extremely useful and quite easy to implement. In fact, I've just started
> rewriting a version of this I had running in Sun about 6 years ago.

Fabio clearly wrote about moving a running process from one machine to
another, so I assume my hint is of no value to him but still: If you
only want CPU bound processes executed remotely over the net, you can
always look at MPI (message passing interface) and if my fading memory
serves me right, there's a free implementation called Mpich. I once
compiled it on my Linux box and got the 'hello world' to compile but
that was just for fun since I have only one computer anyway.

MPI is pretty easy to use for your own distributed programs but cannot
cooperate with existing binaries.

Regards,

--
Eberhard Burr             finger uhl4@rzstud2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de for PGP key