pci probing causes booting to hang on dolphin ii laptop

Herbert Xu (herbert@gondor.apana.org.au)
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 10:10:28 +1000 (EST)

Thomas Kopp <Thomas.Kopp@dialogika.de> cannot boot Linux on his laptop because
the kernel (2.0.30) hangs during pci probing. If DEBUG is enabled in pci.c, we
get this before the kernel hangs (with \n added at appropriate places to make
it more readable).

...pci_malloc(size=32,mem=0035c0bc)
Warning : Unknown PCI device (1039:5107) ..."
...pci_malloc(size=28,mem=0035c0dc)
...scan_bus(busno=1,mem=0035c0f8)

In particular, it hangs at line 801 in pci.c.

Please cc to 11865-forwarded@bugs.debian.org and <Thomas.Kopp@dialogika.de>
when replying. Thanks.

----- Forwarded message from Kopp, Thomas -----

From: "Kopp, Thomas" <Thomas.Kopp@dialogika.de>
To: "'11865@bugs.debian.org'" <11865@bugs.debian.org>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1997 11:00:30 +0100

Thank you for examining my Linux problem.

The exact error message is

"Warning: unknown PCI device at (1039:5107); see
Linux/Include/pci.h",

which always appears during the boot phase. The system hangs after
displaying this message as the last one.

Again my hardware and bios data as an possible indication of the cause:

I have a Dolphin II notebook (Intel Pentium PC55-MMX 200 MHz CPU, 72 MB
DRAM, 256K Cache on board, Trident TGUI 9385 SVGA (800*600 TFT), 2.1 GB
IDE Drive, 3.5" 1.44 MB Diskette Drive, ATAPI CD Drive, ESS Sound Card,
Plug&Play BIOS of SystemSoft Corporation v1.01.26 05-15 dating 16 June
1997 (new flash but didn't help!), keyboard BIOS v1.04.00.25).

Serial Port 1 = 3F8H, IRQ4
IrDA (HPSIR) = 2F8H, IRQ3
Parallel Port = 378H, IRQ5
Audio Port = 220H, IRQ7, DMA1
Midi Port = 330H
Wave Table = Enabled (I also tried with disabled table).
Power Management = Always On (I also tried with Power Management off).

This BIOS setup properly runs NT4.0 SP3.

Sincerely,

Thomas Kopp.

P.S.:

Is there any debug boot version for Linux (reporting all actions in
detail)? This might also be a useful tool for many other users/problems
even if running very slowly.

----- End of forwarded message from Kopp, Thomas -----

Home Page: http://greathan.apana.org.au/~herbert/
PGP Key: http://greathan.apana.org.au/~herbert/pubkey.txt