Re: kernel crashes on bootup

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 00:50:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 29 Sep 1997, David Ngo wrote:
> I've had a very interesting problem with kernels since 2.1.48 or so.
> [...]
>
> I have a Micron Pro Magnum PPro200 with an Adaptec 2940UW and a Future
> Domain TMC-1680. When the kernel goes to mount the root partition,
> immediately after the "Freeing [X]k of unused memory" message it dumps
> stack trace info onto the screen, at least two pages worth.
>
> I have a feeling that this behavior is related to the aic7xxx driver
> (which is compiled into the kernel in my case), but I'm not sure.
> Does anyone have any ideas?
>
> Dave

It sounds like the kernel is freeing somthing that it's going to need later.
First, look for a common prefix on the stack dump... for example, if a lot
of the functions mentioned start with aic7xxx, then your hunch is likely
right. Try taking out __initdata and __initfunc() macros (to keep the
kernel from "freeing" these data/functions), their should certianly be no
ill effects other then larger kernel memory use. Also, try doing a
shift-page-up or two and see if an extrodornary amount of memory is being
freed... normal being about 20k.

-=- James Mastros

---
"Anybody who thinks that their compiler is smarter than they are
probably disagrees with me."
-=- Linus Torvalds