Re: [2.0.x/2.1.x] Lots of ICMP error msgs

Nathan Bryant (nathan@nbryan71.dorm.usm.maine.edu)
Tue, 30 Sep 1997 12:15:55 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 30 Sep 1997, Aaron Tiensivu wrote:

> Does an alarming amount of "ICMP: failed checksum from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx"
> necessarily tip off an attempted DoS attack? Are these normal? Should I get
> this message a few times, and then other times a lot?
>
> I think some ruthless Quake players are trying to take down the server
> by doing such a thing..
>
> This is on an ethernet connection.. not ppp or anything else.

I, too, have been getting a bunch of these, and I'm also running a Quake
server on an ethernet. I've also been getting a bunch of ICMP redirect
messages, coming from strange places, which certainly shouldn't happen.

nbryan71@mail.caps.maine.edu