Re: Boot results in reboot

Stefan Mars (mars@lysator.liu.se)
Wed, 1 Oct 1997 11:34:51 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Thomas Lorenzen wrote:

> Hi'
>
> On the 23. Jul. 1997 Ian Walley posted a problem to the
> list about that a whole bunch of brand new computers simply
> could not boot from a bootdisk, He wrote
>
> ############################################################
>
> Hi;
>
> I have a problem I've never experienced before -- a whole batch of
> new computers we've just put together all exhibit the same problem
> when attempting to install Linux. I boot from a bootdisk [!], and
> at some point in the startup process, the system is hard rebooted.
> I can't see how far it gets in the boot process, because it's
> too quick!
>
> I've tried 2.0.29, and 2.1.46 [:-)], and the symptoms are the same.
>
> The system is a Intel 166 MMX Pentium, JET branded TX 512K motherboard,
> Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG, dated 8 July 1997. I've removed
> all the hard disks, the ATAPI CDROM, the network card -- all that's
> left in is a PCI S3 ViRGE [which I've used before in other machines
> without difficulty].
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? I can't find anything in the archives
> on this.
>
> Best,
>
> I.

> Ian Whalley, Senior Programmer, Sophos PLC, England; ian@sophos.com
> WWW:<http://www.sophos.com/>; Tel:+44-1235-559933; Fax:+44-1235-559935
>
> ############################################################
>
> This problem seems just like the one, I am encountering
> now. I am trying to install the Slackware 3.3 distrubution
> with Linux 2.0.30 on a brand new 200 MHz pentium computer
> equipped with rather decent hardware such as an IDE Quantum
> Fireball harddisk, an IDE Atapi Mitsumi cdrom, a TSENG
> ET6000 Video Card, all sitting on a P55XB2 motherboard from
> Iwill with a Award BIOS v4.51PG dated the 28. Jul. 1997. We
> already have machines of almost the same type with only 133
> MHz pentium processors sitting on P55TV motherboards from
> Iwill, and those we have never had problems installing Linux
> on.
>
> I have tried to boot many many many times in order to
> see, where things goes wrong, and to me it seemes, that the
> problems starts just after the calculation of the
> bogomips. Stuff moves very fast on the screen, and then it
> blanks, but it is almost for sure, that the problems starts
> just after the bogomips calculation. I have travelled the
> mailing list through and have not found any good entries
> except for the above cited one. Have I overlooked something,
> or does anyone have an idea on how to proceed??? Also I am
> not sure, whether or not this mailing list is the correct
> forum for questions such as mine, so if not, could anyone
> refer me to other interesting mailing lists???

I had the same problem when I upgraded to a Pentium 166 MMX. It turned
out that I needed *both* an upgrade of the new kernel and a bios upgrade.
>From what I have been able to tell from other people who had had similiar
problems they have almost always been motherboard related.

Suggestion: Check with the motherboard manufacturer to see if they have a
bios update that fixes the problem.

Also, this mailing list is not really the place for questions like this.
Instead you should ask in newsgroups like comp.os.linux.setup and
comp.os.linux.hardware for example.

-Stefan

| Stefan Mars |Student, Applied physics & Electrical engineering |
| Bjoernkaerrsgatan 15B:30 |Linkoping Institute of Technology |
| S-584 36 Linkoping | |
| Sweden |Email: mars@lysator.liu.se Phone: +46 (0)13175384 |
| Maintainer of The THX Home Cinema Buyers Guide, located at |
| http://www.lysator.liu.se/%7Emars/thxguide.html |
\--------------------- PGP key available through finger ----------------------/