Re: WinXX and Linux on a network

Wed, 1 Oct 1997 10:51:03 -0400 (EDT)

On 1 Oct 1997, Andi Kleen wrote:

> Teunis Peters <teunis@usa.net> writes:
> > I can connect to them just fine; they cannot connect to my computer.
> > This is definitely kernel-related as 2.1.24 works. (as I have an
> > Ne2000plus 2.0.30pre7 doesn't work but I haven't had time/space to
> > upgrade)
>
> Can you try if other computers can reach your machine? If not, please
> supply a tcpdump log of a failed connect. You should also check with
> netstat -a if your telnet server is really running. Without a tcpdump
> it's nearly impossible to diagnose the problem.
>
> -A.

Also note that `ifconfig` and `route` now need to have the command line
completed, i.e., there are no default netmasks, etc. Check for errors
upon startup... You may see something like "route forgot to add
netmask". You need these things now.

Cheers,
DJ
Richard B. Johnson
Analogic Corporation
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.55 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).
Warning : It's hard to stay on the trailing edge of technology.
Linux : Engineering tool
Spam : sync@localhost, daemon@loghost