Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #1206

Steven N. Hirsch (shirsch@ibm.net)
Sun, 5 Oct 1997 09:49:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 4 Oct 1997, Brad Moss wrote:

> I'm having problems printing now that I've updated to the 2.1.57 kernel.
> Have compiled the parport and lp drivers as modules and they load boot
> time. I have been using the apsfilter for my NEC Silentwriter 2 Model 90
> postscript printer and in the past with 2.0.30 it worked fine. Since the
> update the printer reacts as if it's "processing" and "waiting" and then
> just goes back to "ready" and never prints. I've checked the printjobs
> using "lpc" and each time the print job gets qeued and seems to run fine
> but the printer just doesn't print. Is there something I can "adjust" in
> terms of how the data is being sent to the printer. Seems to me that
> Something has changed in the way the data is being passed to the
> printer. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Just a WAG: You do realize that parallel port numbering changed between
the 2.0.x and 2.1.x series? Earlier kernels called the port at 0x378
"lp1", regardless of whether anything existed at 0x3BC. For reasons
unknown to me, the 2.1.x kernels number the ports as they are found. So,
a single port at 0x378 would be called "lp0". I've been bitten by this
myself.

Steve