Re: [2.1.57] Another [fatal] bug with binfmt_misc

Erik Andersen (andersee@debian.org)
Tue, 7 Oct 1997 01:18:33 +0000

On Mon, Oct 06, 1997 at 08:57:11PM -0700, B. James Phillippe wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I wrote a little Bourne shell script to automatically configure
> and deconfigure binfmt_misc. One of the things it does before
> deconfiguring it is to make sure that /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/status is
> writable, and then echo's -1 to it and rmmod's the module. It works fine.
> But.. if I run it again (after it's already off and the module is
> unloaded), it causes a kernel Oops. It seems the pathnames are lasting in
> /proc as ghosts, even though they should be gone. If I turn off
> binfmt_misc and then rmmod the module, an ls /proc/sys/fs shows empty
> (like you'd expect). But if you ls /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc/status, it is
> there! And heaven forbid if you try to read it; it locks the machine up
> solid. Perhaps this is a dcache problem?
>
> Even with these bugs, I am very enthusiastic about this new binfmt_misc
> technology.
>
> thanks,
> -bp
> --
> B. James Phillippe <bryan@Terran.ORG>

Yup. This is a known problem with the way modules interact with the /proc
filesystem. Bill Hawes wrote a patch for this very problem a few days back.
I am certain that the fix will be in 2.1.58 when Linus gets back.

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org